26 April 2016

Diary of a Sorcerers Safari newbie - part 1

The “Diary of a Sorcerers Safari Newbie” is primarily based on the 2015 camp season.  It is an aggregate of many perspectives and at times includes events from previous years.


Thursday August 13, 2015
Tomorrow I go to Sorcerers Safari Magic Camp for the first time! 

I'm nervous.  Mom said, “Alex, it's normal for a ten year old to be anxious about their first time at sleepaway camp.”  That makes me feel a bit better.  I hope I won't get too homesick.  I wish I knew someone else who was going.

I'm worried that I don't know enough magic.  I know how to do the "cups and balls."   But I don't know any card or coin tricks.  I hope no one laughs when I try to shuffle cards. It usually ends in a big mess.

It's getting late.  I should try to sleep.  I feel excited and scared both at the same time. (How weird is that?)


Day 1: Friday August 14, 2015
I'm here! This place is awesome!

We got up early and Mom drove me to camp.  During the drive I kinda wished Dad was driving. Mom drives so slow I thought for sure we'd get here late. Turns out my worry was for nothing.  We got here early and even beat the bus!  Way to go Mom!

Camp is huge!!!!  The staff were waiting for us on a big field when we got here.  Other campers were waiting too.

A bus full of campers just arrived. Kids are laughing and cheering and hugging people as they get off the bus.  People are asking if Eric Leclerc is going to be here this year.  He must be awesome if everyone’s talking about him.

Campers gathered on the field.
Campers gathered on the field.

They’re asking us to take our things to the cabins so I’m going to give Mom a hug goodbye and hope she doesn’t see that I’m sad and a little bit scared to see her go.  If she starts crying I’ll be a mess.  Don’t know when I’ll get a chance to write again.

A camper's notebook. Photo by Rosemary Reid
A camper's notebook.


To be continued ... 


--
The 2016 season of Sorcerers Safari will run from Sunday August 7th through Friday August 12th, 2016. For more information, or to register, please visit SorcerersSafari.ca



|< page 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 78 - 9 - 10 - 11 - next >



No comments:

Post a Comment